Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: ARK: Survival Evolved  (Read 80866 times)
dafoe
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 10:27:16 »

Kind of amazing how small an area of it we have explored so far.

Venture
Members
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 10:41:22 »

Toying with this now but, like snow, i may wait till it's on sale.

This place looks safe: http://ark.gamepedia.com/South_Haven Smiley

Knight Errant
Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 10:52:45 »

Toying with this now but, like snow, i may wait till it's on sale.

This place looks safe: http://ark.gamepedia.com/South_Haven Smiley
Ang' tried reaching it last night, the result was one of the more grisly scenes from Jaws.

The water around it is heavily infested with Megalodons (huge ass sharks with massive aggro ranges). To reach it safely you need either a raft (passengers on which are still fair game to some seaborne predators) or a flying mount.

"This is bad news for sapients, sapient." - The Caretaker of Nexus
dafoe
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 10:56:45 »

Ah, that was a fun trip. I punched one of them on the nose, but that didn't deter them.
Almost as fun as "freeing" that bronto. I don't think I have ever ran that fast in my life, virtual or real.
Neon Vixen
Leaders
Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 11:29:53 »

Having a quick read about taming last night, because riding dinos will be fun. I'm going to stick some of my points into the narco mixture so we can keep them asleep while taming when we decide to do it.

Apparently some of the more powerful creatures make good guards while we are offline.

Knight Errant
Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 12:33:57 »

Having a quick read about taming last night, because riding dinos will be fun. I'm going to stick some of my points into the narco mixture so we can keep them asleep while taming when we decide to do it.

Apparently some of the more powerful creatures make good guards while we are offline.
Like any pet they will need to be fed when we are offline. It may be worth waiting until we have a structure for supporting them (food troughs etc.). By all means practice with something like a Dodo though! Smiley

Neon Vixen
Leaders
Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 15:00:39 »

Apparently dodo's are a good source for eggs, which are also quite a nourishing food. So it may be worth having one or two in an enclosure. Like chickens.

dafoe
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 15:07:19 »

Sounds like a plan.

Found this cool mapping site, and created one we can use to keep track of stuff.
http://www.ark-survival.net/en/dynamic-livemap/?mapid=4263986

I marked our base and the cave entrance I found approximately where I remember them to be, might be a little off.
Snow
Members
Hyperdimensional

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 06:27:58 »

A small intro to it, Slim whom I sorta watch his stuff for Train Fever vids, but he dabbled in ARK, be more on his twitch channel if I recall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJOBQY8QSPM&list=PL0VtYD7C_Qrfn9zavdU5JAZy0Htkr_HZC&index=32
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:30:54 by Snow » Logged

"You  gave us a world where we could fly. I can't thank you enough for that. Smiley"  - A reply to War Witch's post on the forums about CoH closing
Knight Errant
Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 08:00:57 »

Well, we're all sorted for a small outpost/way station. It should be a 2 by 2 wood building. The question is where should we place it?

I'm still looking at possible locations for a primary site for a base.

There's a canyon system a little way north along the coast (61,81), it might provide a secure (if fenced and gated) option. There's no direct water access but there is a river to the north and beach to the east.

And there's the island around (73,76) directly west of our little peninsular. It seems to have a lot of room and potential for resources but it is a bit remote (due to the bay between our current location and it).

Of course both of these option may be crawling with predators so we'll need to do some lightly geared scouting first.

Alternatively we can consolidate our current position. It's reasonably safe, has access to water and already has a significant resources investment.

Venture
Members
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 08:23:07 »

just saw this review on Steam, not sure if it makes the game sound brilliant or a griefers paradise:

Day 1: Wake up on strange island. Poop. Pick up poop. See dino. Throw dino with poop. Dino doesn't like it. Dino kills me.
Day 2: Punch trees. It hurts. Make tools. It was super effective. Runs into jungle with spear. Gets killed by a rex.
Day 3: Met people. They gave me stuff. I like them. Knock me out. They drag me to a prison. I'm stuck.
Day 4: Start punching walls. Nothing happens. I call for help. Captors come back and feed me.
Day 5: Captors are offline. Run around in cell. Die of starvation. Escape.
Day 6:Tamed a pack of dilos. They kill everything. I get food. Today was a good day.
Day 7: Woke up in prison. Same captors. Someone drops a spear outside window. I take spear.
Day 8: Wait for captors to return. One enters through the door. I stab him. He dies. I kill their dinos. Today was a good day.

10/10 would play again.

Knight Errant
Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 08:35:35 »

just saw this review on Steam, not sure if it makes the game sound brilliant or a griefers paradise:

Day 1: Wake up on strange island. Poop. Pick up poop. See dino. Throw dino with poop. Dino doesn't like it. Dino kills me.
Day 2: Punch trees. It hurts. Make tools. It was super effective. Runs into jungle with spear. Gets killed by a rex.
Day 3: Met people. They gave me stuff. I like them. Knock me out. They drag me to a prison. I'm stuck.
Day 4: Start punching walls. Nothing happens. I call for help. Captors come back and feed me.
Day 5: Captors are offline. Run around in cell. Die of starvation. Escape.
Day 6:Tamed a pack of dilos. They kill everything. I get food. Today was a good day.
Day 7: Woke up in prison. Same captors. Someone drops a spear outside window. I take spear.
Day 8: Wait for captors to return. One enters through the door. I stab him. He dies. I kill their dinos. Today was a good day.

10/10 would play again.

Yeah, by all accounts the official pvp servers can be very harsh.

Neon Vixen
Leaders
Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 11:58:48 »

Well, we're all sorted for a small outpost/way station. It should be a 2 by 2 wood building. The question is where should we place it?

I'm still looking at possible locations for a primary site for a base.

There's a canyon system a little way north along the coast (61,81), it might provide a secure (if fenced and gated) option. There's no direct water access but there is a river to the north and beach to the east.

And there's the island around (73,76) directly west of our little peninsular. It seems to have a lot of room and potential for resources but it is a bit remote (due to the bay between our current location and it).

Of course both of these option may be crawling with predators so we'll need to do some lightly geared scouting first.

Alternatively we can consolidate our current position. It's reasonably safe, has access to water and already has a significant resources investment.

The only problem with the island is we will need a raft or swimming mounts to ferry stuff back and forward. It may however be a nice "safe zone". Moving nearer the centre will give us a better effective scouting area/range, but also a bigger risk of being found by the more dangerous dinos.

Knight Errant
Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 13:27:44 »

The only problem with the island is we will need a raft or swimming mounts to ferry stuff back and forward. It may however be a nice "safe zone". Moving nearer the centre will give us a better effective scouting area/range, but also a bigger risk of being found by the more dangerous dinos.
This was one of the concerns I was running into. The more I think about it the more it seems that developing our current site or maybe one on the peninsular plain would be a good idea.

Apparently the northern end of the inlet to the west of the camp is a common spawning point for very dangerous predators.

dafoe
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 14:01:28 »

Current site works as a base, or maybe even a bit further south with more space around us in all directions.

I'll be gathering the resources needed for a raft and go over there for mining purposes. It is supposedly a pretty good early source of metals, and we could do with some relatively safe sources of that Smiley

Also, currently taming more stuffs for us, including a trike.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: